Thursday 24 September 2015

Entomological suppliers

CC image by Anaxibia.

 I was thinking it might be best to be like the BBC and not openly advertise any particular companies. But let's face it, if you want entomological pins or something similar, you can't just pop down the supermarket, your options are limited. So I'm going to point you at a couple of the bigger more obvious companies.  But "other entomological suppliers are available."

 Watkins and Doncaster

and Anglian Lepidopterist Supplies

both stock all sorts of pins, boxes, lenses, nets, scalpels, beetle glue, you name it. The Watkins and Doncaster site is easier on the eye, but they don't include VAT until you check out, so you only think it's cheaper until then.

Something I've discovered recently and am consequently evangelising about is this type of very light forceps - they help you pick invertebrates up without damaging them. They're not exactly cheap (I got mine somewhere cheaper on ebay... Dutch ebay actually), but I have found them useful.

I do have some glass vials you might like for collecting / display, and don't forget that I can make you up some invertebrate preservative (70% ethanol, 10% glycerol and 20% water). I've also got ethyl acetate if you want to make a killing jar. Also little crystals of naphthalene (moth balls) to put in with your insects to deter nibblers. And plenty of spreading boards you can borrow if you're doing moths.

No comments :