Thursday 22 November 2018

Scientific names and their derivations

I have been busy over the last few weeks, and I imagine you've been working hard too. However, I seem to have fewer practicals to worry about between now and the end of term. So if you do want to come in to look at your plants or creatures, I can offer you both some time. Just send me an email (or turn up on spec if you prefer to live more on the edge).

I hope you are still managing to find things here and there, even if other assignments are taking precendence at the moment. I think it's good if you can go for a wander somewhere (as we did on the field trip to Lower Woods the other week) because you never know what you might find, and also it's beneficial to periodically relax your brain.

Andrena fulva, CC image by Sarah.
I was having a cup of tea outside the lab the other day and saw a small bee struggling on the ground. It was super furry and had a very orange bum - very striking. I looked it up and I think it was Andrena fulva, the Tawny mining bee. I can't imagine what an adult would be doing out at this time of year - they're more of a spring/early summer species. But it was rather nice.

Today I found something else you might like, a dictionary of scientific names. I've posted links to such things before, but this book is actually less than 100 years old, whatever next (it's not like Latin changes, does it). But this book is very clearly set out and I like it. So I thought I'd look up 'Andrena fulva', as quite often the translations can be quirky - plus it gives one an air of knowlegeability when you can translate a bit of Latin. However, it seems that 'Andrena' actually means 'bee', which is a bit of an unimaginative choice. And 'fulvus' means reddish yellow... you've guessed it, 'tawny'. Never mind. You may have more interesting results with your own species.
A link to the pdf: Dictionary of Word Roots and Combining Forms by Donald J Borrer.

No comments :